Member of :

Guidelines for New Entrants

Guidelines for new entrants to motor sports

Welcome to the exciting world of Motorsports!

As a newcomer, it is natural that you would have searched, read so many articles about motorsport in the internet. We have attempted to help you out in your understanding motorsport in India and globally.

Motorsports worldwide is divided in to two viz.

  1. Two & 3 Wheeler Motorsports
  2. Four & above wheeler Motorsports

The two and 3 wheeler motor sports globally is governed by an organization called Federation Internationale Motocyclisme (FIM), headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. Visit  for more information.

The Four and above wheeler Motorsports globally is governed by an organization called Federation Internationale de l’ Automobile (FIA), headquartered in Paris, Geneva. Visit for more information.

Both FIA and FIM organizations recognizes one organization per country to handle motorsports in that Country. The FIA calls such organizations as ASN (National Sporting Authority) and FIM calls it as FMN (National Motorcycle Federation).

The Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI), headquartered in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, is the ASN / FMN in India. FMSCI is also the National Sports Federation (NSF) recognized by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India.

The FMSCI issues competition licenses, various sporting and technical rules and regulations, appoints officials to oversee events etc. to achieve its goal of promotion, control and governance of motorsports in India. Visit for more information.


  1. Decide which category of motorsports you are interested in. Is it two wheelers or four wheelers.
  2. Decide which type of event you are interested in. There are various types of motorsport events in both 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers.
    2 Wheelers : Road Racing (Circuit Racing), Drag Racing, Supercross, Dirt Track, Hill Climb, Rally etc.
    4 Wheelers : Karting (GoKart), Racing, Rally, Drag Racing, Drifting, Hill Climbs, Gymkhana, Autocross etc.
  3. Having decided which type of event, it’s now time to get your FMSCI Competition License. Please note that there are various competition licenses for various types of events. Any person who is above 18 years must have a Civil Driving License (RTO license) before he applies for any license. Visit>>>Forms and select the respective license application form, fill it up and send it to the FMSCI. Please read the instructions page carefully and ensure that you are eligible for that license and attach all necessary enclosures. After applying, you can check the status of your license in While the physical license may take some time to reach you by courier, the confirmed license number on the above website would suffice to take part in events.
  4. You now have your license. You must then decide which event you want to take part in. The Calendar of event section on the front page of the FMSCI website lists the various events that are organized in the Country under the aegis of the FMSCI.
  5. Select the event you want to take part in, contact the organizers of the event or visit their website and get the Supplementary Regulations (SRs) and Entry form for the event. Read the SRs carefully and fill in the entry form, send it to the organizers with relevant enclosures and fees. Keep in touch with the organizers. The motorsporting events are organized by member clubs of the FMSCI (visit >>> FMSCI >>> Member Clubs for their contact details).
  6. There are some events wherein the vehicle is provided for by the organizers / manufacturers / teams. This applies generally for Circuit Racing only and for Formula Cars and one make events like Volkswagen Cup Series, Toyoto Etios Motor Racing, Honda, TVS, Yamaha and the like.
  7. In all other cases you need to prepare and bring your own vehicle. How do you prepare the vehicle ? The Supplementary Regulations will contain details of Groups / Classes of vehicles that are allowed to take part in that event. Vehicles are normally divided based on the cubic capacity and the extent of modification allowed. For example in 2 wheelers you have Group D, Group C, Group B and Group A ; similarly in cars you have Group N, Group T1, Group T2, Group A etc. There are also special groups like Indian Junior Touring Car, Indian Touring Car, Super Stock etc.
  8. All the Sporting and Technical Regulations for these classes are available in the FMSCI website under ‘Regulations’ menu. You may get the assistance of the organizers of the event on how to hire a Formula Car from the teams for an event or advise of the Tuners for your vehicles.